Shurba is an arabic word meaning something to drink. But this shurba literally means arabic soup mostly made from cracked wheat. Adding a little meaty touch to it gave it an excellent taste. This is a definately most try during winter, after a cold rainy day and perfect for iftar dueing the ramadhan period.
1/2 cup cracked wheat
1/2 cup onion
1 cup tomatoes
1-2 red chili
Ground all spices
Garlic and ginger paste
Lemon juice to serve
Spring onion to garnish
- Wash wheat and soak for 10 minutes
- Put to pot and boil for about 7 minutes and drain
- Heat oil in a pan add the garlic- ginger paste saute for some seconds
- Add onion cook till tender
- Add the red chili and tomatoes, all spice, cover lid and let it sweats for 5 minutes
- Add water, cracked wheat ,salt to taste.
- Allow to cook.
- When done scoop out about 1- 11/2 cup of the soup to blend with 2-3 ice cubes to smooth
- Return to the remaining soup, let simmer for 1 minute
- Remove from flame set aside scoop into soup bowl, squeeze lemon juice and garnish with spring onions